Sunday 15 October 2017

ULearn 2017

Tomorrow marks day one of term 4 and to be perfectly honest I'm not ready. Lessons are prepared and there's plenty to get done, but my brain is absolutely still buzzing from one of the best ULearn conferences I've attended.
I'm very lucky in that I have had the opportunity to present and attend ULearn on most occasions over the last 10 years. Not every year has provided mind bending and challenging content - but 2017 did not disappoint.

Eric Mazur reminded us of the power of peer discussion and peer teaching.
Abdul Cohen inspired us all to make a difference.
Sally Peters had me reevaluating the importance of teacher research and TAI.
Glen Storey gave me more ideas around introducing the concept of coding with junior kids.
Bec and Jamie Power shared many lovely ideas of collaboration and community. - always a pleasure to listen to these two.
Megan Gallagher offered some concrete ideas around how to teach kids about the importance of brain anatomy to address resilience and mindfulness. A couple of ideas I plan to implement as soon as possible with #DaBoyz
But most importantly I was challenged  by Ann Milne as she spoke about Colouring in the White Spaces. White privilege in NZ education and assessment.


Ann Milne closed the conference on such a provocative note. She challenged us all on our culturally responsive pedagogy. If Maori students have been failing for such a long time, why do we continue to think the children are the broken ones - shouldn't we need to change our pedagogy to suit the child? What are we doing to promote the achievement of Maori AS Maori? - which is surely more important than expecting achievement on a eurocentric scale. I am very keen to see what I can do in my classroom to make sure that I am allowing students to show who they are and what they value.

No comments:

Post a Comment